Cheesefoot Head & Meon Valley MTB Ride
BRAND NEW for 2020 and probably the best cross-country mountain bike ride in Hampshire! Join us as we explore the beautiful Meon Valley and rolling downland east of Winchester this summer.
Our knowledge of the South Downs National Park brings another gem of a cross-country mountain biking route, that starts in the heart of Hampshire’s Meon Valley and loops westward across the rolling downland east and south of Winchester. This ride has long been a personal favourite of ours with its diverse mix of byways, bridleways and woodland trails that provide nothing short of a stunning and thrilling journey. This really is one of the best Hampshire guided mtb rides available from our expert team of local and passionate leaders.
There’s not many rides that take in the grounds of a stunning National Trust estate, vineyards with such a mixture of adrenaline fuelled descents. The South Downs is synonymous with long climbs, panoramic views of the Solent and quaint ancient villages, which this ride has in droves for us to explore. Unbelievably, this is all before we reach the highest point at Cheesefoot Head on the South Downs Way. What comes next, is simply some of the best descents to be found in the national park as we head south east on the Allan King Way. Further more, as the ride just get’s better and better on the amazing bridleways that criss-cross the hamlets of Upham, Dean and Corhampton, all before a sublime finishing descent on the Monarch’s Way to the pub!
What to expect!
You will need to have a good level of fitness to be able to enjoy this day out. In true South Downs style the riding is good old-fashion cross-country, with long but rewarding climbs and open epic views. The riding is a mixture of stunning double and single track bridleways to the super fun and flat out woodland trails of Longwood Warren and the South Downs Way. The terrain is not overly technical, however, a couple of the descents to require confident bike handling techniques it provides an exciting mixture to inject plenty of fun and a sense of challenge for all levels, especially novice mountain bikers.
If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
The area and the trails
This part of the South Downs perfectly combines the ancient lush woodland with the Roman roads of yesteryear, which we will explore via the network of trails that festoon this stunning part of the National Park. The majority of this classic ride handles the variety of weather very well but in places is exposed and therefore we would recommend packing an additional layer and your shades, when the sun is out and gleaming off the Solent and the chalk.
Shredding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment during our guided South Downs rides. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out on your bike to discover the trails of the South Downs National Park.
MTB bike hire
Visiting family and friends without your bike? Or simply you want to give this ride a go, but do not own a mountain bike? Then we can arrange day hires through our local partners, Chalk Pit Trails and or Hassocks Community Cycle Hire.
- Duration: We have all day, if we need it!
- Distance: 26 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 2,365 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Advanced Novice
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.00 am | 9.30 am on bikes
- Meet point: George and Falcon pub, Warnford, SO32 3LB
- Group size: 5-8 (max.)
- Fully guided by a professional MTB leader
- This ride is aimed at almost all levels who like cross-country style mountain biking. We would recommend that you are a minimum of an advanced novice off-road rider and or regular cyclist looking for a challenging, rewarding and sociable guided mountain bike ride
- You are an active person who has the personal fitness to ride for at least 3-5 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You will be confident in basic bike handling skills and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots and small loose rocks, along with small rollable slopes. All of which are rollable or can be ridden around
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- Contact Us if you would like to hire a bike
- The ride does contain a limited number of undulating and in places challenging climbs
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options.
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Travel/activity Insurance