Jurassic Purbeck Big MTB Day Out
This is the 40 mile big brother to our Isle of Purbeck MTB Day Tripper with a west loop that takes in the stunning Jurassic Coast! There’s castles, cliff edge trails, ancient history, beachside singletrack and it all starts with a trip on the ferry.
Welcome to our Jurassic Purbeck Big MTB Day Out! A cross-country (XC) ride, that will take you mountain biking on the Purbeck Hills, towards the stunning Jurassic Coast of Kimmeridge Bay. For those who have already ridden with us on our Isle of Purbeck MTB Day Tripper, then you will know, just how beautiful this area is and how the ancient history of Corfe Castle and the surrounding villages intertwines seamlessly with natural wonders of the Old Harry Rocks and the coastline.
Just like it’s little brother, this extended mini-adventure with it’s extra 11 miles, starts with breakfast at the delightful Boatyard Cafe Bar, before cycling to the Sandbanks chain ferry, that will take us across Poole Harbour. Now on the Studland, we will explore the beach-side singletrack of the golf course, before taking on the open trails towards Corfe Castle. From here you will definitely need a strong set of legs, as we take you on a additional westbound loop.
Branching out across Corfe Common towards the village of Kingston before the eye-popping Styre Head. Just as we finish lapping up the sea views, it’s time to continue and thrash along the Hardy Way to Kimmeridge Bay. Next up, if we can drag you away from the Jurassic coastal views, is the the return to Corfe Castle via the random Grange Arch and the undulating Ridgeway Hill. Suitably refuelled at the quaint Village Tea Rooms after the amazing Knowle Hill descent, our journey takes in more epic sea views and the Old Harry Rocks of the Studland. The final blast along the natural singletrack before the return ferry back to Sandbanks for the well earned post ride refreshments!
What to expect!
Beware this ride is a challenge! You will need to have a good level of fitness to be able to enjoy this big day out. Mountain biking on the Purbecks Hills is classic cross-country on the open downland.
PLEASE NOTE: You will have a good level of fitness to take on the 3,845ft of climbing across approximately 40 miles. If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
The area and the trails
Isle of Purbeck mountain biking is all about the great mix of sea views, cliff top trails and the rolling bridleways of the Purbeck Hills. There are around 7 big climbs with big open views to keep the eyes happy and the super-fast descents with jaw-dropping back drops to banish the climbing woes.
Shredding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out mountain biking on the Purbeck Hills.
- Duration: 4-6 hours
- Distance: 40 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 3,845 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Advanced beginner with excellence fitness levels
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.00 am | 10 am on bikes
- Meet point: Sandbanks car park
- Group size: 8 (max.)
- Breakfast at the Boatyard cafe
- Return ferry trip
- 10% discount at lunch in Corfe Castle
- You will be at least an advanced beginner mountain biker
- You have the personal fitness to ride for at least 4-6 hours with strong legs to keep you climbing up almost 4,000 ft at a social and comfortable pace
- You will be confident in mountain bike handling skills on at least blue graded trails and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots, small to long rollable drop-offs and loose rocks. All of which are rollable
- Certain trails will be steep in places which will require confident bike-handling skills
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- Hire Bike options available. Please contact us
- The ride does contain many undulating and moderately steep long climbs
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options.
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal Travel and or Accident Insurance