The Surrey Hills and North Downs
£48.00 inc. VAT
Long before the singletrack of Hurtwood put the Surrey Hills on the global map, the ancient network of off-road trails has long linked the quaint villages and estates across the Tillingbourne Valley. Our passion for exploring these original bridleways and by-ways has created this traditional mountain bike ride of discovery.
On the outskirts of London The North Downs and Surrey Hills have long offered an escape from the city into the fresh air. There are picture postcard villages, sprawling estates and lush woodland to explore on the extensive network of bridleways and byways that criss-cross this stunning countryside.
Our ride begins in the depths of the Surrey Hills as we take in the Pitch Hill viewpoint, before a flowing descent through the magical Winterfold Forest. Now into the Tillingbourne valley and soaking up the charm of Shere, we begin our tour of the Weald between the North Downs and the Surrey Hills. There’ll be plenty of chances to stop and take in the views from Pewley Down, St Martha’s Hill and Newlands Corner, and to experience the working landscapes of Albury and Wotton Estates.
This action-packed tour, bursting with variety, finishes with a refreshing drink and country village pub lunch.
A route for regular bikes or e-bikes
This route is a traditional cross-country mountain bike ride. There will be fun bumpy descents, sandy and rooty forest trails and wide-open pastures. So a hardtail or short travel full suspension mountain bike would be perfect. Big travel bikes are welcome – just be prepared for some extra effort.
This ride can be enjoyed on a conventional mountain bike or an e-bike. If this ride is right for your level of experience and fitness, then bring your choice of bike! Marmalade rides have a friendly welcoming atmosphere, and e-bike riders who find themselves first up the hill are always patient and understanding of those relying on human-power alone.
Ensure your e-bike is maintained and ready to ride, and please pack your spare mech hanger with your usual trail pack spares. Consider bringing a spare battery if you feel your power consumption may call for one.
Riding with Marmalade
A vital part of the ride is the special Marmalade MTB ingredient: fun. Marmalade rides and trips are known for their friendly, sociable and welcoming buzz. We ride and we laugh.
Visiting family and friends without your bike? Your own bike not quite right? Or maybe you’d like to treat yourself to an experience on a really nice bike? We have used these excellent hire bike providers, and can recommend them to you:
- Pedal and Spoke
(conventional and electric full suspension bikes)
- Duration: We have all day, if we need it!
- Distance: 32 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 3,800 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Advanced Novice (But this ride is awesome for all levels)
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 8.30 am | 9.00 am on bikes
- Meet point: The Royal Oak, Holmbury St Mary
- Group size: 5-8 (max.)
- Fully guided by a professional MTB leader
- If you have attended our other rides such as the Devils Punch Bowl, East Sussex Explorer or the Tour de Rings then this ride would be perfect for you
- You will need reasonable fitness, happy to cycle for around 4 hours, with breaks
- You will be confident in mountain bike handling skills and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots, small rollable drops and loose rocks. All of which are rollable
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Road, hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- The ride does contain a number of undulating and in places challenging climbs
- Riders must be aged 18 or over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal travel/activity Insurance