£48.00 inc. VAT
Crafted to show off the best of coastal Sussex, this big day out roams around the lesser-known bridleways and paths that connect some of the most picturesque villages south of Chichester.
Nestled on the south coast between the counties of Hampshire and Sussex is Chichester Harbour – a stunning area of outstanding natural beauty that includes the famous Wittering beaches and Pagham’s protected wetland. And skirting the estuary is an impressive wealth of off-road gravel trails, canal paths and National Cycle Network paths just waiting to be explored!
A firm favourite with the Marmalade gravel team, this ride starts in the centre of Chichester at one of the city’s many artisan cafés before heading south on the Salterns Way. It’s not long before we’ve left the shadow of the cathedral and we’re heading towards West Wittering via the marina lock gates. This route explores this beautiful and diverse coastal area in an anti-clockwise direction.
A world away from the congested trunk roads that link the busy seaside towns, we find ourselves completely immersed in the peace and quiet. Our years of riding all over the south east mean we know all the best stops for refreshments and cake! There sure are plenty of quaint cafes to take advantage of on this loop.
This route is one for any gravel bike riders, but can also be enjoyed on a mountain bike (regular or electric). Road bikes aren’t suitable, and full-suspension mountain bikes might feel like heavy going. A fairly all-weather route but ensure you pack a layer for the ever-present coastal breeze.
Riding with Marmalade
A vital part of the ride is the special Marmalade MTB ingredient: fun. Marmalade rides and trips are known for their friendly, sociable and welcoming buzz. We ride and we laugh.
Visiting family and friends without your bike? Your own bike not quite right? Or maybe you’d like to treat yourself to an experience on a really nice bike? We have used these excellent hire bike providers, and can recommend them to you:
- Duration: We have all day, if we need it!
- Distance: 25 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 275 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Novice – but an awesome ride for all levels!
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.00 am | 9.30 am on bikes
- Meet point: Luckes Cafe, Chichester
- Group size: 5-8 (max.)
- Guided by our fully qualified professional MTB leaders Jim Barrow or Clive Andrews
- Both Jim and Clive are Sussex locals and are passionate gravel riders
- This ride is aimed at riders looking for a (mostly) off-road adventure without much in the way of technicality or climbing
- Bring a gravel bike, hybrid bike or a mountain bike that’s comfortable for long rides
- If you have attended our other rides such as our Goodwood & Kingley Vale, or Tour de Rings, you will probably love this ride, though it has less climbing
- If you regularly ride on the road, and would like an introduction to off-roading, this ride could be great for you
- You will need reasonable fitness, happy to cycle for around 4 hours, with breaks
- There is no technical mountain biking on this route, but we will ride on dirt, mud and gravel, as well as tarmac
- Riders must be aged 18 or over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options.
- Suitable gravel or mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal travel/activity Insurance