Wiston and the Rings
From £48.00 inc. VAT
Location: South Downs
Duration: 3-4 hours
Style: Cross-country (XC)
Electric mountain bike
17 mi | 27 km
1,770 ft | 540 m
Wiston and the Rings
From £48.00 inc. VAT
Join us as we discover prehistoric hill forts with sea views. Amazing South Downs bridleways link it all together. This is what makes this cross-country MTB ride a sure-fire winner for all levels.
Whether as a custom private experience or as part of a Marmalade open group ride, this guided ride combines the best of West Sussex’s countryside with expert support and assistance from an experienced local guide. It’s the ride we used to call our ‘Tour de Rings’.
If you need to hire a bike, check availability first using the Bike Hire selector below.
Welcome to our backyard. The South Downs north of Worthing and Shoreham-by-Sea are are brimming trails for beginners and intermediates. This area of the National Park is home to many of the Marmalade team, who are longing to show you around. The dense network of bridleways that spread out from the river Adur at Shoreham and high above Worthing and Steyning make this area a superb location for cross-country mountain biking.
This is the ride we used to call our ‘Tour de Rings’.
Our open group rides are based from the Wiston Estate’s marvellous Chalk restaurant, though for private bookings, we can offer a range of alternative starting points, including the villages of Findon or Lancing.
We climb up onto the South Downs for a ride that includes the prehistoric hill forts of Cissbury Ring, Chanctonbury Ring and Lancing Ring. This loop that we take you on that includes circumnavigation of these ancient settlements, is perfect for any level of mountain biker looking to explore and take in this stunning area with its sea views.
What to expect
You will need to be an active person with regular cycling fitness in your legs to be able to enjoy this sociable South Downs rides. If you have recently joined us on our introductory rides, this loop will be the perfect next step for you. In true South Downs style the riding is good old-fashion cross-country, with long but rewarding climbs and open epic views. The riding is a mixture of stunning double and single track, bringing in part of the South Downs Way. The terrain is not overly technical, however, a couple of the descents do require confident bike handling techniques. Wiston and the Rings provides an exciting mixture to inject plenty of fun and a sense of challenge for all levels, especially novice mountain bikers.
If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
The area and the trails
This part of the South Downs offers an amazing network of bridleway trails that link seamlessly together to explore this stunning and ancient part of the south east. The majority of this classic ride handles the variety of weather very well but in places is exposed and therefore we would recommend packing an additional layer and your shades, when the sun is out and gleaming off the English Channel and the chalk trails.
Riding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident. Combine a super fun and relaxed atmosphere with Marmalade’s expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out discovering the trails of the South Downs.
This route is a traditional cross-country mountain bike ride. There will be fun bumpy descents, rooty forest trails and wide-open double tracks. So a hardtail or short travel full suspension mountain bike would be perfect. Big travel bikes are welcome – just be prepared for some extra effort. And lastly modern gravel bikes would also be at home on this ride.
This ride can be enjoyed on a conventional or electric mountain bike or gravel bike, whether you bring your own or hire from our friends at Riverside South Downs. If this ride is right for your level of experience and fitness, then bring your choice of machine. Marmalade rides have a friendly welcoming atmosphere, and e-bike riders who find themselves first up the hill are always patient and understanding of those relying on human-power alone.
Ensure your bike of choice is maintained and ready to ride, and please pack a spare mech hanger with your usual trail pack spares.
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Distance: 17 mi | 27 km
- Ascent: 1,770 ft | 540 m
- Level: Upper Beginner
(If you have any questions about your level, just contact us)
- Meet time: 9.30am │ 10.00am on bikes
- Meet point: Chalk restaurant, Wiston Estate
What do I need?
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order (bikes can be hired in advance)
- Helmet (in good condition, with no damage)
- Clothing and shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
- Glasses, sunglasses or eyeshields
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
What’s not included
- Bike hire – this can be booked via the ‘Bike Hire‘ section
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Personal travel or accident Insurance
Is this for me?
- This ride is aimed at almost all levels who like cross-country style mountain biking
- We would recommend that you are a minimum of an advanced novice off-road rider and or regular cyclist looking for a rewarding and sociable guided mountain bike ride
- To take part, you’ll need to be an active person who has the personal fitness to ride for at least 3 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You should be confident riding a bike on roads or smooth terrain and able to operate it safely
- The route may include features such as roots and loose rocks, along with small rollable steps – all of which can be easily ridden or avoided
- The ride does contain a limited number of undulating and in places challenging climbs
- This ride requires a suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable)
- See the ‘Bike Hire‘ section below if you need to hire a bike
- Riders should be aged 18 and over
- If this ride sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us and we’ll help you look at other options
Private experience (extra information)
Booking Wiston and the Rings as a private ride
To enjoiy this ride privately, the base price of £180 is for one to four people. Add more riders for a group of five to eight using the ‘Extras’ drop down menu.
If you want a completely bespoke guided ride, then choose the ‘Custom Half or Full Day’ option from the ‘Experiences’ drop down menu.
Still not sure what experience is for you or have a question? Then please send Sean an email or call on +44 (0)7840 724611.
Need to hire a bike? Then after you have booked your private ride, scroll down or click click here to reserve your bike(s).
Meet point: Once you have booked, we can decide on the best location to start your ride. This will depend on where your accommodation is and whether or not you require bike hire. If required we can bring the bikes to you.
If you want to discuss this before you book then please send Sean an email or call on +44 (0)7840 724611.
(All prices include VAT)
Bike hire (extra information)
How to book your bike:
- From the system below select the dates to match the ride you have booked with us
- Select the full day option
- Select normal mountain bike or electric mountain bike
- Choose the size of bike, based on your height
- Go to checkout and complete the bike hire reservation for each rider
These fantastic bikes, and this booking system, are provided by our friends at Riverside South Downs. If you have any questions or problems around booking your bike, just contact the Riverside team and they’ll help.
Choose your option
Choose your option