Intro to off-road cycling near Cuckmere Haven
£48.00 inc. VAT
Our guided ride for novice off-road cyclists is coming to the Eastbourne and Seaford areas. Join us for an informative, fun and sociable group ride that starts and finishes in Friston Forest.
How to book
Firstly, if you need to hire a bike, scroll down to the ‘Bike Hire‘ section to book directly with our friends at the Cuckmere Cycle Company.
Next step, select which group from our ‘Dates‘ drop down menu, followed by how many riders, then checkout to secure your place(s).
If you like the sound of this introduction to mountain biking but you’d like a private experience, we would love you to join us for a private mountain biking session.
Brand new for 2023, we’re bringing our popular introduction to off-road cycling to the Eastbourne and Seaford area at the east end of the South Downs National Park. This is perfect for the casual cyclist or budding mountain biker who is looking to start their mountain biking journey on the South Downs. During the 12 mile ride we will share our expertise and knowledge. This will include stops in suitable places to share tips and advice on core bike handling techniques.
Our professional mountain bike leaders will provide a super relaxed and sociable day that will start in the beautiful Friston Forest. After the relaxed briefing, we will head off and explore the bridleways that traverse across this stunning woodland, before taking you out onto the South Downs National Park to enjoy the breathtaking views.
What to expect
You will need to have a good level of fitness to be able to enjoy this day out. So although this is an intro to mountain biking, it is suited for active people who are looking to try off-road cycling under the expert leadership of a professional guide. The riding is mainly on cross-country double track and open downland. The terrain is not overly technical. but it provides an exciting mixture to inject plenty of fun and a sense of challenge for all levels, especially novice mountain bikers.
If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
The area and the trails
Our ride location and route is set within Friston Forest and the ancient downland on the edge of the Seven Sisters Country Park that encompasses the famous Cuckmere Haven, where the River Cuckmere meets the sea.
How to get here
By train – The nearest station is Seaford which provides easy connections from London and across the south east. It’s then only a short 15 minute pedal to our meet location – though there is a hill to get you warmed up!
By road – The coastal A259 runs right past Cuckmere Cycle Company and to the north the A27, via Alfriston, provides further easy links to this rural setting.
Riding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment during your ride with us. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out on your bike to discover the trails of the South Downs National Park.
- Duration: We have all day, if we need it, but we expect to take around 3 to 4 hours.
- Distance: 12-15 miles (19-24km) (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 1,000-1,200 ft (300-600m) (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Novice
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.00 am | 9.30 am on bikes
- Meet point: Cuckmere Cycle Company
- Group size: 8 (max)
- Fully guided by a qualified and local MTB leader
- This ride is aimed at the novice off-road cyclist and the regular beginner mountain biker looking for a sociable and informative guided ride.
- You are an active person who has the personal fitness to ride for at least 2-3 hours at a social and comfortable pace.
- You will be confident in basic bike handling skills and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner.
- The trails will include features such as roots and loose rocks, along with small rollable drop-offs – all of which are rollable or can be ridden around.
- You will need a suitable mountain bike, whether your own or hired – conventionally powered or an e-bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride).
- See the ‘Bike Hire‘ section if you need a suitable bike
- The ride does contain a limited number of undulating and in places challenging climbs
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options.
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses**
- Spare inner tube**
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump**
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day*
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort**
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks*
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
** these items are recommended, however are not essential. If you have any doubt please do contact us
What’s not included
- Bike hire – this can be booked via the ‘Bike Hire‘ section
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal Travel and Accident Insurance
Bike hire selection
- From the system below choose the date and time to match our guided ride (6 May 2023 & 9 am)
- We recommend the 4 hour duration as a minimum
- Select normal mountain bike or electric mountain bike
- Choose the size of bike, based on your height
- Go to checkout and complete the bike hire reservation
- Book your place on the guided ride from the ‘Dates‘ drop down menu above
The bike hire system below can sometimes have a delay before it has fully loaded. If it fails to show, then visit Cuckmere Cycle Company direct to reserve your bike. Then return to this page to confirm your place on our guided ride.
(** Marmalade MTB is not responsible for the provision of these bikes. By using the system below you are booking direct with Cuckmere Cycle Company)