Introduction to Mountain Biking on the Surrey Hills
From £55.00 inc. VAT
We created this Brand New guided ride in 2020 and now in its third year, we once again look forward to welcoming the novice or casual cyclist and introducing them to the awesome world of mountain biking on the famous Surrey Hills. All this within an hour of London!
If you need to hire a bike, check availability first using the bike hire selector below.
Join us in 2022 for our Surrey Hills MTB for beginners. This is the perfect introduction for the regular cyclist or budding mountain biker looking for a sociable, relaxed but structured launch pad into singletrack riding. During the 12 mile ride we will share our expertise and knowledge, to provide you with the perfect foundation to take your off-road cycling to the next level. During the ride, we will stop in suitable places to share tips and advice on core bike handling techniques.
Our professional MTB leaders will provide a super relaxed and sociable day that will kick-off with the all important informative briefing. After the chilled start we will explore the woodland trails and bridleways that festoon the famous Surrey Hills. Depending on the overall level of the group, we will use our unrivalled knowledge of the trail network to dynamically adapt the ride to ensure your introduction to trail riding and singletrack, is all about high-fives and ear to ear grins.
What to expect!
For our Surrey Hills MTB for beginners, you will need to have a good level of fitness to be able to enjoy this day out. Although this is an intro to MTB, it is suited for active people who are looking to try off-road cycling under the expert leadership of a professional guide. The riding is a mixture of cross-country on double track bridleways to the super fun and flowing singletrack of the famous Surrey Hills. The terrain and trails we will use are not overly technical, however, they will provide an exciting mixture to inject plenty of fun and a sense of challenge for all levels, especially novice mountain bikers.
The Surrey Hills experience would not be complete without a mid-ride stop at the awesome Peaslake Village Stores for a famous cheese-straw or slice of cake and the traditional post-ride drink at the Hurtwood Inn.
If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
The area and the trails
The lush woodland that smothers these green sandstone hills is festooned with ancient bridleways and trails that have become synonymous with the Surrey Hills. This ride will perfectly link together the best introductory trails of Holmbury Hill and potentially Pitch Hill, depending on our progress on the day. We will show you sections of classics such as Telegraph Row and Yogurt Pots and many many more.
Riding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out on your bike to discover the trails of the Surrey Hills.
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Distance: 10-12 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 1,200 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Novice
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.00 │ 9.30 am on bikes
- Meet point: Walking bottom car park, Peaslake
- This ride is aimed at the novice off-road cyclist and the regular beginner mountain biker looking for a sociable and informative guided ride
- You are an active person who has the personal fitness to ride for at least 2-3 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You will be confident in basic bike handling skills and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots and loose rocks, along with small rollable drop-offs. All of which are rollable or can be ridden around
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- See the ‘Bike Hire‘ section below if you need to hire a bike (click Bike Hire)
- The ride does contain a limited number of undulating and in places challenging climbs
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses**
- Spare inner tube**
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump**
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day*
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort**
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks*
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
** these items are recommended, however are not essential. If you have any doubt please do contact us
What’s not included
- Bike hire – this can be booked via the ‘Bike Hire‘ section
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal Travel and Accident Insurance
Booking this ride as a custom experience
Base price of £180 is for one to four people. Add more riders for a group of five to eight using the ‘Extras’ drop down menu.
If you want a completely bespoke guided ride, then choose the ‘Custom Half or Full Day’ option from the ‘Experiences’ drop down menu.
Still not sure what experience is for you or have a question? Then please send Sean an email or call on +44(0)7840724611.
Need to hire a bike? Then after you have booked your guided ride, scroll down or click here to reserve your bike with our friends at Surrey Hills Bike Rental.
Meet point: Once you have booked, we can decide on the best location to start your ride. This will depend on where your accommodation is and whether or not you require bike hire. If required we can bring the bikes to you.
If you want to discuss this before you book then please send Sean an email or call on +44(0)7840724611.
(All prices include VAT)
Bike hire selection
- From the system below choose the date and time to match our guided ride (6 May 2023 & 9 am)
- We recommend the ‘half day’ four hour option as a minimum
- Select normal mountain bike or electric mountain bike
- Choose the size of bike, based on your height
- Go to checkout and complete the bike hire reservation
- Book your place on the guided ride from the ‘Group ride dates‘ drop down menu above
The bike hire system below can sometimes have a delay before it has fully loaded. If it fails to show, then visit Surrey Hills Bike Rental direct to reserve your bike. Then return to this page to confirm your place on our guided ride.
(** Marmalade MTB is not responsible for the provision of these bikes. By using the system below you are booking direct with Surrey Hills Bike Rental.)