Intro to Mountain Biking on the Purbeck Hills
We have created this Brand New guided ride for 2020 that will introduce the novice or casual cyclist to the awesome mountain biking of the Purbeck Hills. Join us as we share the basic MTB skills that will provide you with the best foundation on your off-road journey.
Our professional MTB leaders will provide a super relaxed and sociable day that will start with a light breakfast, at the Middle Beach Cafe in the village of Studland. After a relaxed start we will explore the woodland trails and bridleways that traverse across Godlingston Heath. By this point, cake and coffee will be calling which will see us winch up Nine Barrow Hill for our reward in the Corfe Castle Model Village Tea Room.
Suitably refuelled our journey retraces itself and heads directly for the more epic sea views and the Old Harry Rocks all before the well earned refreshments back in one of the quintessential Studland pubs.
What to expect!
You will need to have a good level of fitness to be able to enjoy this big day out. So although this is an intro to MTB on the Purbeck Hills, it is suited for active people who are looking to try off-road cycling under the expert leadership of a professional guide. The riding is classic cross-country on the open downland of the Purbeck hills. The terrain is not overly technical, however, it provides an exciting mixture to inject plenty of fun and a sense of challenge for all levels, especially novice mountain bikers.
If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
The area and the trails
Isle of Purbeck mountain biking is all about the great mix of sea views, cliff top trails and the rolling bridleways of the Purbeck Hills. There are 3 significant climbs with big open views to keep the eyes happy and the super-fast descents with jaw-dropping back drops to banish the climbing woes. These include Corfe Castle and the simply stunning Old Harry Rocks.
Shredding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out on your bike.
- Duration: We have all day, if we need it!
- Distance: 15 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 2,000 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Advanced Novice
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.00 am | 10 am on bikes
- Meet point: Middle Beach Cafe
- Group size: 8 (max.)
- Fully guided by a professional MTB leader
- This ride is aimed at the novice off-road cyclist and the regular beginner mountain biker looking for a sociable and informative guided ride
- You are an active person who has the personal fitness to ride for at least 2-3 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You will be confident in basic bike handling skills and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots and loose rocks, along with small rollable drop-offs. All of which are rollable or can be ridden around
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- The ride does contain a limited number of undulating and in places challenging climbs
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options.
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses**
- Spare inner tube**
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump**
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day*
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort**
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks*
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
** these items are recommended, however are not essential. If you have any doubt please do contact us
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal Travel and Accident Insurance