Adur Valley Adventure
From £48.00 inc. VAT
Discover the villages and woodlands of Sussex’s Low Weald, with a ride suited to gravel bikes and most mountain bikes. We’re hitting the easy trails and lanes with a gravel ride that’s big on variety, but easy on gradient.
Our ride begins in the charming West Sussex village of Henfield. We roll north on the Downs Link – a gravelly disused railway line that once connected Shoreham-by-Sea to Guildford. Once deep into the heart of Sussex, we trace a circular route around village lanes, bridleways and woodland, exploring this tranquil countryside. Our trails are sometimes dirt and sometimes gravel, with short connecting sections on tarmac.
We re-find the Downs Link in order to return south to our starting point, where we have the option of a refreshing drink to toast our success.
This route is one for any gravel bike riders, but can also be enjoyed on a mountain bike (regular or electric). Road bikes aren’t suitable, and full-suspension mountain bikes might feel like heavy going. Some dirt sections may become quite muddy if we have rain, so we may need to expect wet feet!
Riding with Marmalade
A vital part of the ride is the special Marmalade MTB ingredient: fun. Marmalade rides and trips are known for their friendly, sociable and welcoming buzz. We ride and we laugh.
Visiting family and friends without your bike? Your own bike not quite right? Or maybe you’d like to treat yourself to an experience on a really nice bike? We have used these excellent hire bike providers, and can recommend them to you:
- Duration: We have all day, if we need it!
- Distance: 31 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 1,250 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Novice – but an awesome ride for all levels!
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.00 am | 9.30 am on bikes
- Meet point: Partridge Green Village Hall car park
- Group size: 5-8 (max.)
- Guided by our fully qualified professional MTB leaders Clive Andrews or Jim Barrow
- Both Clive and Jim are Sussex locals and are passionate gravel riders
- This ride is aimed at riders looking for a (mostly) off-road adventure without much in the way of technicality or climbing
- Bring a gravel bike, hybrid bike or a mountain bike that’s comfortable for long rides
- If you have attended our other rides such as our Goodwood & Kingley Vale, or Tour de Rings, you will probably love this ride, though it has less climbing
- If you regularly ride on the road, and would like an introduction to off-roading, this ride could be great for you
- You will need reasonable fitness, happy to cycle for around 4 hours, with breaks
- There is no technical mountain biking on this route, but we will ride on dirt, mud and gravel, as well as tarmac
- Riders must be aged 18 or over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options.
- Suitable gravel or mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal travel/activity Insurance