Surrey Hills Trailblazer
£48.00 inc. VAT
Launched in 2019, this ride will leave you exhilarated as we blaze across Holmbury and Pitch Hills on the myriad singletrack that smothers these famous forests, less than hour from London.
Surrey Hills guided rides do not come better than the Trailblazer. Our aim is simple and that is to show you as many trails as you can handle! From the tight and twisting, to the flat out and steep plus all the classics to link it all together! Just like all Marmalade MTB rides, this is no race, no training camp, however, always super sociable with laughs guaranteed! We want to show you everything and therefore, this ride is strictly for intermediate and advanced riders who have a good level of fitness!
It would not be a ride on the Surrey Hills without the traditional stop at the Village Stores for a cheeky cheese-straw or a decadent pork and leek slice. All before we winch back up Holmbury Hill to finish with even more awesome trails and of course the pub!
What to expect!
Beware this ride is a challenge! You will need to have a good level of fitness to be able to enjoy every inch of the sublime trails. The Surrey Hills experience would not be complete without a mid-ride stop at the awesome Peaslake Village Stores for a famous cheese-straw or slice of cake and the traditional post-ride drink at the Royal Oak in Holmbury.
PLEASE NOTE: This ride is not suitable for anyone not proficient at technical singletrack. It is also expected you have a good level of fitness to take on the 900 meters of climbing across approximately 23 miles. If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
The area and the trails
The lush woodland that smothers these green sandstone hills is festooned with ancient bridleways and trails that have become synonymous with our Surrey Hills guided rides. We will shoehorn in close to twenty slices of supreme singletrack across Holmbury Hill and Pitch Hill. This will also include the classics such as Telegraph Row, Barry Knows Best and many many more also included.
Riding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will gaurantee you the best day out on your bike.
- Duration: 4-6 hours
- Distance: 21-23 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 2,900 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Intermediate to Advanced
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 8.30 am | 9 am on bikes
- To be confirmed by email a week before the ride
- Meet point: The Royal Oak, Holmbury St. Mary
- You will be at least an intermediate mountain biker
- You will be confident in mountain bike handling skills on red graded trails and profficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots, small to long rollable drop-offs and loose rocks. All of which are rollable
- Certain trails will be steep in places which will require confident bike-handling skills
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- The ride does contain many undulating and moderately steep long climbs
- You have the personal fitness to ride for at least 3-5 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- If you fancy trying a new Specialized standard or electric full suspension trail bike then we highly recommend trying one from our friends at the Riders Hub in Peaslake
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Travel/activity Insurance
Steve W –
Whilst the weather was foul and got worse as the day wore on, this was a really enjoyable session. Surrey Hills is my local, but I discovered some new trails which I will be incorporating into my regular rides. There is a lot of climbing involved, and my fitness was found wanting, but the group was really friendly and supportive and Andy is a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic, an extensive map of the trails seemingly etched into his memory, and he managed the group really well. I’ll definitely be back again, hopefully in drier conditions and a little fitter!
First time out with Marmalade. Andy was a great guide briefing us on the trails ahead and letting me follow his line a couple of times to make sure I wasn’t caught out as I was the only newcomer to the Surrey Hills. When time allows I will definitely be using Marmalade again to guide me around this awesome riding destination.
Richard Mason –
A 3rd time out on the trailblazer and as good as ever. Andy was an excellent guide, with a few new tracks thrown in for good measure and an excellent, sociable group as always with Marmalade.
Michael McCann –
Have ridden the Surry Hills for years so wondered what a guided tour could add the answer was sheer utter enjoyment being able to sit back (literally) and follow Seans lead as he took us down routes I didnt even know existed ! This covered all the classics and Sean guided us with expertise but also patience and understanding ensuring no one felt left out
Just completed another Surrey Hills Trail Blazer with Marmalade and already looking forwards to another this Sunday. So, for those of you who hesitate to do this ride, do not, its fantastic. the trip caters for all levels and Andy (leader) must have a genetic implanted mapping device as he knows this place “like the back of his hand”. The trails are amazing with berms, drop-offs and fast ascents everywhere – the adrenaline will propel you back up the hills! Savouries, cakes & coffee at Peaslake is simply icing on the cake – sorry, i cannot help with the cliches! Thank you Marmalade, an excellent service all round!
Mark Wild –
As always, a fantastic day out! Sean’s expert knowledge of the Surrey Hills just allows you to get out and ride. No worries about logistics, route planning or anything else.
What a great day, you really couldn’t ask for more!
Bruce Mommsen –
Can’t recommend this one highly enough. As a newbie to the area, this was a great way to discover what this amazing trail network has to offer. Sean and team were superb guides and great company. Will be back for sure!
Richard Mason –
My second time doing this ride and even better on some great trails. Paul was an excellent guide. Thoroughly recommended. Looking forward to the Brecon Beacons next
Thomas Hanley –
Amazing day on the bike, even if you ride in the Surrey Hills regularly I would recommend this ride. It is a great way to discover new trails and learn how to link the trails you know already. Paul our guide was excellent and a good laugh as well. It was my second ride with Marmalade and certainly won’t be my last.
Richard Mason –
Having done the Surrey Hills singletrack, this was even better and a fantastic ride. Ben was a great guide and it was just a brilliant day out. Can’t recommend it highly enough.
Martin Barnes –
Very enjoyable first ever ride on the Surrey hills. We had Ben as our guide and would highly recommend this trailblazer. Lots of ups but lots of big grin factor downs too. Looking forward to seeing the video. See you again soon
This is definitely my favourite trip! As always Ben supplied the high level of Marmalade guiding. Excilerating climbs and awesome never ending descents on the best trails of Holmbury and Pitch Hill. If your a regular rider and live to shred! Book this trip! You won’t regret it!
Wowwwww what a ride! We’ve ridden Surrey Hills with Sean & the team on numerous rides but this one’s a newbie bumper pack of singletrack taking in lots of trails we’d never done before. As with other Marmalade rides, the focus is on making sure everyone has the best day so it’s all about sticking together in a group whilst getting in the right order so everyone gets their flow on the trails. Great group and top leading from Sean, as ever. The post-ride pint was very welcome in 31 degree heat!
A great day out. Great trails and well run session. Will be back for another one soon.