Surrey Hills Festive MTB Ride
Our festive ride on the Surrey Hills has been running since 2016 and closes out each year with the perfect fusion of amazing trail riding, our famous fun vibe, fancy dress and the all important Christmas Dinner at the Royal Oak.
Join us again as we close out yet another year of awesome mountain biking experiences across the South East and UK, with our traditional festive guided ride on the Surrey Hills and all the fun it has become famous for since 2016.
What to expect!
Each year we welcome a mix of new riders and old friends who are veterans of our popular guided rides to join together and create a simply amazing day of laughs and festive fun on the equally famous singletrack of the Surrey Hills.
Weather dependant, we will use our unrivalled knowledge of the best trails to create a sublime ride that will make the most of the conditions and guaranteed to have everyone smiling from ear-to-ear. The route is likely to focus on Holmbury and Pitch Hills and take in a hearty and warming snack at the Peaslake Village Stores.
Festive Bling Wins Prizes
Another tradition of this annual event is the invitation to dress you and your bike up with festive bling and decorations (providing it is safe). This not only makes for awesome photos, but you will have the chance to win some prizes which will hopefully be donated by our friends across the MTB industry! The last four years, we have had these awesome gifts to give away:
- Two annual subscriptions to Cranked Magazine
- Gift boxes from Kingud Products (bike care)
- Socks and hats from Sealskinz
- Casual wear and accessories from Pedal and Spoke of Peaslake
- Gift eVouchers from South Downs Bikes
Festive Dinner Included
Just like every other year we have always finished the ride at the amazing Royal Oak in Holmbury St Mary. Here the roaring fire and the delicious Christmas lunch will hit the spot after our stonking ride. Darren and his team will be there to welcome us from 2pm to serve our food, that no doubt we will wash down with a fine local ale or seasonal soft drink or two.
Currently our guided rides are classified as ‘Organised Sporting Events’ through British Cycling which is our governing body. Through 2020 we have been operating many of our rides and trips in strict adherence to the guidelines provided by the British Government and published by British Cycling. Therefore, we will continue to monitor the ongoing situation and adjust our proposed event on the 13th December to align with the guidelines at the time.
We have taken the sensible precaution to reduce this years festive ride event from sixteen (16) to a maximum of ten (10) riders. On the day the riders will be split into two groups of five (5) and the groups will use different routes. With their respective leader the maximum group size will be six (6). This is a reduction of our current operating ratio, which is one (1) to eight (8). We will work closely with the Royal Oak to ensure we comply to the law regarding the rule of six (6) for the hospitality element of this event.
If we have to cancel the ride due to local or wider CV19 restrictions then your booking will be honoured and carried over to a new event in 2021 or simply refunded in full. Cancellations by you prior to the event are subject to our standard terms and conditions.
The area and the trails
The lush woodland that smothers these green sandstone hills is festooned with ancient bridleways and trails that have become synonymous with the Surrey Hills. This ride will perfectly link together the flowing and whoop inducing singletrack of Holmbury Hill and Pitch Hill with the classics such as Yogurt Pots, Telegraph Row, Barry Knows Best, Supernova, Graveyard and many many more. The gritty and sandy nature of this area results in the trails draining well and handling the winter conditions much better than other areas. This is another reason why our festive MTB guided ride should not be missed and has been enjoyed by many shredders each year.
Shredding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out on your bike to discover the trails of the Surrey Hills.
- Price: £60 per person
- Maximum 10 places
- Includes Christmas lunch at the Royal Oak after the ride
- Plus prize giving based on the gifts donated by our partners and friends
- Fancy dress optional
- Excludes drinks at the Royal Oak and mid-ride cafe stop
- Duration: 3-5 hours (dependant on the weather and overall group level on the day)
- Distance: 18-20 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 2,400 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: +Advanced beginner to Intermediate
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.30 am | 10 am on bikes (TBC)
- Meet point: Hurtwood car park 9 (Felbury House), Holmbury St. Mary
- You will be at least an intermediate mountain biker
- You will be confident in mountain bike handling skills on red graded trails and profficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots, small to long rollable drop-offs and loose rocks. All of which are rollable
- Certain trails will be steep in places which will require confident bike-handling skills
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- The ride does contain many undulating and moderately steep long climbs
- You have the personal fitness to ride for at least 3-5 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal travel and activity Insurance