1,000 ft – 2,400 ft
Surrey Hills Festive MTB Ride & Lunch
£70.00 inc. VAT
Our festive ride on the Surrey Hills has been running since 2016 and closes out each year with the perfect fusion of amazing trail riding, our famous fun vibe, fancy dress and the all important Christmas Dinner at our favourite village pubs.
Join us again as we close out yet another year of awesome mountain biking experiences across the South East and UK, with our Christmas rides on the Surrey Hills and all the fun it has become famous for since 2016.
Our Christmas rides on the Surrey Hills – what to expect!
Each year we welcome a mix of new riders and old friends who are veterans of our popular guided rides to join together and create a simply amazing day of laughs and festive fun on the equally famous singletrack of the Surrey Hills.
Weather dependant, we will use our unrivalled knowledge of the best trails to create a sublime ride that will make the most of the conditions and guaranteed to have everyone smiling from ear-to-ear. The route is likely to focus on Holmbury and Pitch Hills and take in a hearty and warming snack at the Peaslake Village Stores.
Festive bling wins prizes
Another tradition of this annual event is the invitation to dress you and your bike up with festive bling and decorations, if you wish, providing it is safe and firmly fixed to your bike! This not only makes for awesome photos, but you will have the chance to win some prizes which will hopefully be donated by our friends across the MTB industry!
Festive lunch included
Just like the past five years, we have always finished the ride at the amazing Royal Oak in Holmbury St Mary. Due to the popularity and demand so far this autumn for this ride, we have decided to run four groups instead of two. However, to spread the love, we will be hosting two of the groups from our other hospitality friends in Peaslake, The Hurtwood Inn. At both post ride venues the roaring fire and the delicious Christmas lunch will hit the spot after our stonking ride. The pub teams will be there to welcome us from 2 pm to serve our food and the fine local ale or seasonal soft drink or two.
The area and the trails
The lush woodland that smothers these green sandstone hills is festooned with ancient bridleways and trails that have become synonymous with the Surrey Hills. This ride will perfectly link together the flowing and whoop inducing singletrack of Holmbury Hill and Pitch Hill with the classics such as Yogurt Pots, Telegraph Row, Barry Knows Best, Supernova, Graveyard and many many more. The gritty and sandy nature of this area results in the trails draining well and handling the winter conditions much better than other areas. This is another reason why our festive MTB guided ride should not be missed and has been enjoyed by many shredders each year.
MTB bike hire
Visiting family and friends without your bike? Or simply you want to give this ride a go, but do not own a mountain bike? Then simply book your bike/s direct from our friends at The Riders Hub Peaslake below:
(please note, Marmalade MTB are not responsible for the provision of these bikes. By using the system below you are booking direct with The Riders Hub Peaslake)
- Price: £70 per person (incl. VAT)
- Maximum 32 places (x4 individual groups of x8)
- Includes Christmas lunch at the Hurtwood Inn after the ride
- Plus prize giving based on the gifts donated by our partners and friends
- Fancy dress optional
- Excludes drinks at the Hurtwood Inn and mid-ride cafe stop
- Duration: 3-5 hours (dependant on the weather and overall group level on the day)
- Distance and Elevation gain:
- Novice group: 8-12 miles / 1,000 ft (approx.)
- Intermediate and advance groups: 15-20 miles / 2,200 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Novice to Advance
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 8.30 am | 9 am on bikes
- Meet point: Hurtwood No. 2 car park, Walking Bottom, Peaslake
- For 2022 will be guiding ONE group for cyclists that consider themselves at NOVICE or introductory level
- You will be at least an intermediate mountain biker
- You will be confident in mountain bike handling skills on red graded trails and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots, small to long roll-able drop-offs and loose rocks. All of which are roll-able
- Certain trails will be steep in places which will require confident bike-handling skills
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- The ride does contain many undulating and moderately steep long climbs
- You have the personal fitness to ride for at least 3-5 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Are you tubeless?
- Please check your sealant levels before the ride
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and the weather conditions on the day
- Strictly no jeans or open toe footwear
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
- Change of clothes for the post ride lunch
- Handlebar grips in good condition*
- Please ensure your grip ends do NOT have holes in
- Replace before the ride otherwise you will not be able to take part
- Please ensure your grip ends do NOT have holes in
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
** If you do not have or cannot source one before the ride, do not worry these are not essential for this ride, just a nice to have in your trail pack for the future
What’s not included
- Bike hire (see description tab for the options)
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from the location
- Personal travel and activity Insurance