£40.00 inc. VAT
The Slindon Shred is no longer available.
However, our other awesome cross-country mountain bike rides on the South Downs, Surrey Hills and the Isle of Purbeck, are very popular and there are new dates across 2022 for you to join!
An awesome ride that combines every element of the perfect mountain bike day out and delivers the very best of South Downs mountain biking. Classic cross-country (XC) and woodland trails combine to to ensure this ride is one of our original favourites.
Whether you are searching for South Downs MTB events to add to your diary or simply looking to explore somewhere different on your bike, then look no further, than one of our favourite rides. The Slindon Shred is the perfect fusion of cross-country and forest mountain biking. This is all about exploring the ancient downland and woodland trails of the Slindon estate and beyond. We will climb to see epic sea views before rattling down Roman roads and enjoying the quintessential Sussex country-side and the customary pub lunch in the 800 year old George and Dragon in Houghton.
What to expect!
In true South Downs style there will be the fair share of long and testing climbs which on the whole are all ride-able, with the right gear and a settled pace. So it goes without saying that you will need a fair level of personal fitness to enjoy this day out on the rolling Dowland, just north of the historic towns of Arundel and Chichester. On the whole the long and exhilarating descents with amazing back drops, are on double track bridleways and not overly technical or loose.
PLEASE NOTE: This ride is not suitable for complete novice riders. If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
The area and the trails
This part of the South Downs perfectly combines the ancient lush woodland with the Roman roads of yesteryear, which we will explore via the network of trails that festoon this stunning part of the National Park. The majority of this classic ride handles the variety of weather very well but in places is exposed and therefore we would recommend packing an additional layer and your shades, when the sun is out and gleaming off the English Channel and the chalk.
Shredding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment during one of our South Downs MTB events. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out on your bike to discover the trails of the South Downs National Park.
MTB bike hire
Visiting family and friends without your bike? Or simply you want to give this ride a go, but do not own a mountain bike? Then we can arrange a day hires through our local partners Chalk Pit Trails and or Hassocks Community Cycle Hire.
- Duration: 3-5 hours
- Distance: 18 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 1,345 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Advanced beginner
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.30 am | 10 am on bikes
- Meet point: Whiteways cafe car park
- Group size: 8 (max.)
- You will be at least an Advanced Novice mountain biker
- You will be confident in mountain bike handling skills on blue graded trails and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots, small to long rollable drop-offs and loose rocks. All of which are rollable
- Certain trails will be steep in places which will require confident bike-handling skills
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- The ride does contain many undulating and moderately steep long climbs
- You have the personal fitness to ride for at least 3-5 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options.
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal Travel/accident Insurance
Great introduction to a new riding area, somewhere different (in a good way!) from the Surrey Hills. Our guide Jim used his vast experience of the area to good effect! We’ll be going back!