The Brighton Belter
Discover the amazing car-free mountain biking on the doorstep of Brighton. Escape the hustle and bustle of city life for fresh air, flowing bridleways and big sea views. Our Brighton Belter is perfect for new riders or those returning bikers looking to shake off the cobwebs.
Our unrivalled local knowledge of the trails that surround our home city has created more Brighton MTB rides for beginners. The dense network of bridleways that surround this bustling seaside city, provide the perfect car-free fun on two wheels for all levels.
Since the start we have been committed to use this expertise to create an extensive portfolio of mountain bike events across the South, with our Brighton MTB rides for beginners and all levels central to this. Therefore, why not join us in May to discover the rolling bridleways that pass the Chattri memorial, the amazing views across the weald from Ditchling Beacon and of course the simply sublime woodland trails of Stanmer Park.
Brighton MTB rides for beginners
If you have recently taken up off-road cycling or have taken part in our other South Downs rides for beginners such as the Rookie-to-Rider series or the introductory ride at Stanmer Park, then the Brighton Belter would be the ideal ‘next ride’ for you on your progressive mountain biking journey.
What to expect!
You will need to an active person with regular cycling fitness in your legs to be able to enjoy our sociable South Downs rides for beginners. However, as mentioned above if you have recently joined us on our introductory rides, then this loop will be the perfect next step for you. In true South Downs style the riding is good old-fashion cross-country, with long but rewarding climbs and open epic views. The riding is a mixture of stunning double and single track bridleways to the super fun and flat out South Downs Way. The terrain is not overly technical, however, a couple of the descents do require confident bike handling techniques. The ‘Brighton Belter’ provides an exciting mixture to inject plenty of fun and a sense of challenge for all levels, especially novice mountain bikers.
If you are still not sure whether this ride is for you, then please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
The area and the trails
This part of the South Downs offers an amazing network of bridleway trails that link seamlessly together to explore this stunning and ancient part of the South East. The majority of this ride handles the variety of weather very well but in places is exposed and therefore we would recommend packing an additional layer and your shades, when the sun is out and gleaming off the English Channel and the chalk.
Shredding with Marmalade
We pride ourselves on creating the perfect vibe that makes everyone feel comfortable and confident to maximise your enjoyment during our guided South Downs rides. Combine this super fun and relaxed atmosphere with our expert knowledge and professionalism we will guarantee you the best day out on your bike to discover the trails of the South Downs National Park.
MTB bike hire
Visiting family and friends without your bike? Or simply you want to give this ride a go, but do not own a mountain bike? Then we can arrange day hires through our local partners, Chalk Pit Trails and or Hassocks Community Cycle Hire.
- Duration: We have all day, if we need it!
- Distance: 11 miles (approx.)
- Elevation gain: 1,280 ft (approx.)
- Technical Grade: Novice
(any questions, please contact us)
- Meet time: 9.00 am | 9.30 am on bikes
- Meet point: Stanmer Park
- Group size: 5-8 (max.)
- Fully guided by a professional MTB leader
- This ride is aimed at almost all levels who like cross-country style mountain biking
- Have you completed our Rookie-to-Rider series or taken part in our other Novice rides?
- Or you are a regular cyclist looking for a challenging, rewarding and sociable guided mountain bike ride
- You are an active person who has the personal fitness to ride for at least 2-4 hours at a social and comfortable pace
- You will be confident in basic bike handling skills and proficient with operating your bicycle in the correct manner
- The trails will include features such as roots and small loose rocks, along with small rollable slopes. All of which are rollable or can be ridden around
- All the trails will have options to ride around features that you do not feel comfortable riding
- You have your own suitable mountain bike (Hybrid and budget bicycles are not suitable for this ride)
- Contact Us if you would like to hire a bike
- The ride does contain a limited number of undulating and in places challenging climbs
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on this ride
- If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please contact us for other options
Equipment, kit and clothing
- Suitable mountain bike in good working order*
- Gloves and glasses
- Spare inner tube
- Puncture repair kit and bicycle pump
- Clothing & shoes appropriate for cycling and weather conditions on the day
- Padded cycling shorts for comfort
- Personal choice of drink and ride snacks
* without these you will not be able to take part in the guided ride Our guides carry an extensive kit to assist with trail-side repairs
(IMPORTANT: your helmet must be within the warranty period from the date of manufacture to take part in any of our guided rides. See the warranties table tab. You will be asked to submit this information via our riders consent form).
What’s not included
- Bike hire
- Personal clothing & equipment
- Overnight accommodation
- Pre, during or post activity refreshments
- Transfers to & from location
- Personal travel/activity Insurance